Freshmen Set Fall Informal For Kirkland

Committee Acts in First Term Meeting

Meeting for the first time on Friday, November 30, the newly organized Freshman Affairs Committee scheduled a long-awaited informal "Freshman Christmas Dance" for Saturday, December 15. Despite the fact that only two weeks remained to the committeemen before the intervention of vacation, they optimistically went ahead with their preparations.

Because of the little time available for publishing the dance. Thomas L. P. O'Donnell '47, representing the Harvard Student Council, said that he feared a small turnout when the group met for the first time Friday, November 30. Despite his warnings that "the council does not intend to subsidize anticipated deficits," the Freshmen moved forward with their somewhat feverish preparations.

Speedy action has resulted in the definite scheduling of the dance. Considerable wrangling developed over the choice of December 15 as the date, and the final settlement was viewed as unsatisfactory by some because it competes with a Radcliffe formal.

"There's Always Wellesley"

However, Buell S. Smith '49, Chairman of the Dance Committee, expressed his confidence in a big response and a flowing till. "Institutions like Harvard and Radcliffe ought to be able to support two social affairs the same night," he said "and besides, there's always Wellesley."

Chappie Arnold, a perennial standby of university house affairs, will provide the music, and a Yuletide motif has been announced by the decorations department. An anonymous motion to give one of the proctors a pillow and a Santa Claus outfit, however, was unanimously voted down.

The committee will attempt, to make it possible for men with dates to take them to Christmas Dinner in one of the House Dining Hall by shunting the others off in an earlier shift. They will also try to effect a temporary extension in the parietal rules for the entertainment of women guests in the rooms.

The Class of '49 will be canvassed in a sales drive, but invitation, according to Chairman Smith, is extended to the entire College.