Dean Buck Considers Extended CATS Lease

Army and Navy Urge Continuation to 1946

With most of the University's service schools in daily uncertainty as to their future, and many of them closing down completely, the Civil Affairs Training School looks forward to staying here until the fall of 1946.

This anticipation is based on a formal request by the War and Navy Departments that the School be kept open that long, for even after the war there will be a need for trained officers who can be used for occupation. What action will be taken on this request is still up to Dean Buck, who, as Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Science, has general supervision of the School for Overseas Administration.

Emphasize Far East

With the departure of a large percentage of the ASTP, composed of enlisted men, Mather Hall is the remaining stronghold of the CATS, an officers' version of the ASTP. An all-volunteer group, the CATS now specialize in the far east during their six months' course here. This includes a study not only of the history and customs but also an intensive language course designed to give at least a rudimentary knowledge of even the most difficult Asiatic tongues. Although the aspect of military training and drilling cannot be completely omitted, it has been kept at a minimum.

Personnel Includes Peacetime Executives

The Training School's men consist of officers especially picked, not only from all American armed forces but also from other countries in addition. Largely college graduates and varying in age from 30 to 55, the CATS were in peacetime, experts in their respective fields ranging from business to professional men.

The School for Overseas Administration, under the direction of Carl J. Friedrich, professor of Government, was founded July 2, 1943 upon the special recommendation of President Conant.