Hauptfuhrer Nation's Tenth Highest Scorer With 190, Reports AP

Varsity center George Hauptfuhrer, whose point-getting ability is sometimes taken for granted by Crimson hoop followers, found himself in the national limelight yesterday. Associated Press tabulations placed him 10th among the country's leading collegiate basketball scorers, with an average of 15.8 points a game.

Hauptfuhrer expressed surprise yesterday at the listing and suggested that the large number of games in which he had played were responsible for his 190 point total.

A breakdown of Hauptfuhrer's scoring shows 82 field goals and 26 charity tosses for a 12-game (M.I.T. through Princeton) total of 190 points. This is far short of the first place total of 339 points, amassed by Clifton McNeely of Texas Wesleyan.

Mariaschin Shares Limelight

Although frequently overshadowed by the playmaking finesse of team-captain Saul Mariaschin, Hauptfuhrer has been consistently hot in the scoring department all season. In fact the six foot four inch center has slipped below the two figure mark only once.

His busiest night to date was December 17, when he popped in 11 field goals and two fouls against Tufts. Against Indiana Central at Indianapolis he paced the Crimson with 23 points, and in victories over Brown and B.U., he collected 20 and 21 points respectively.

Exploiting his height under the basket, Hauptfuhrer has registered most of his markers on tap-ins and pivot hook shots, and on give-and-go combinations with Mariaschin.