Hygiene Investigating Body To Ask Opening of Records; Probe Now University-Wide

Committee Debates Medical Care Here

Inspection of Hygiene Department records to determine the scope of the annual budget and the distribution of funds drawn from student $15 fees will rank as project number one of the new University Student Hygiene Committee, according to an announcement following last night's meeting of the group at Phillips Brooks House.

This "look at the books" may verify, or prove false, reports the Committee said it had received to the effect that half of the Department's yearly expenditures went to cases of a psychiatric nature.

Five on Committee

Now formally constituted, the Committee includes Patrick D. Dailey '50, of the Student Council; Dow Votaw 3L, of the Law School's Phillips Brooks House Committee; Richard Powell 2B, representing the Business School Student Association; Chandler Davis 2G, spokesman for the Graduate Advisory Council; and Clyde C. Snyder, Jr. 2B, acting in a personal capacity. Their investigation has taken shape in response to summertime editorial pressure from the Law School Record.

On the Committee's agenda are a comparison of medical care elsewhere and a canvass of insurance companies for group coverage bids as well as the preliminary inquiry into the operation of the Hygiene Department. Letters will go out this week to health supervisors, student governments, and student newspapers at ten institutions with "conditions approximating Harvard's."

Fairness Promised

All deliberations and fact-finding will be conducted "dispassionately" prejudiced by no "a priori assumptions," it was emphasized.

Next meeting of the body, which adopted the name "University Student Hygiene Committee" last night, will take place Wednesday at 7 o'clock. Exploratory discussions were carried on at the first gathering last week.