Crimson Line Fools Experts In 19-14 Win

Forward Wall Saves Victory Against B.U.

By William S. Fairfield

For the Crimson eleven's 19 to 14 victory over an inspired Boston University team at Harvard Stadium last Saturday, Varsity mentor Dick Harlow can thank one factor only-the individual defensive brilliance of his linemen. With a squad rated among the powers of the East offensively but weak defensively, pre-game predictions by both coaches and sports writers had it that Harvard would need at least four touchdowns to emerge victorious. In other words, the Terriers were predicted to cross the Crimson's goal three times.

The Varsity didn't get its four touchdowns or even enough points to equal three. But neither did the Scarlet and White tally thrice.

Only four times during the afternoon did fast Terrier backs manage to squeeze through the Crimson forward wall for more than three yards. Twenty-one times they either lost ground or barely made the line of scrimmage due to the magnificent efforts of potential All-American Howie Houston and his accociates, Emil Drvaric, Jim Feinberg, and Chet Pierce.

Flynn, Hill Block Ends

When these same speed merchants tried skirting the ends, Wally Flynn and Red Hill were waiting for them. The net result, B.U. gained 81 yards by rushing while the Crimson piled up 200 yards in the same department.

The narrow five-point margin separating the two elevens at the final gun can be directly pinned on spotty Crimson backfield work, both offensive and defensive.

It was hard to believe number 41 was the same Chip Gannon who has ripped apart Harvard foes over since he donned the Crimson. Gannon ran into Terrier defenders who, at any other time, would never have seen him.

Quarterback Jim Kenary, although his blocks and tackles were vicious all afternoon, watched his usually accurate passes sail over the heads of Crimson receivers. The Sophomore tossed several strikes, however, one of them for the second touchdown, and master-minded the team like a veteran.

Ken O'Donnell, used at every backfield post but fullback, looked like he had spent his life at each.

It's farther to Virginia than you think