Council Drive $6,500 Short, Ends Sunday

Lack of Funds May Force Budget Cuts

Student Council officers cast a disappointed but hopeful eye at their avowed $25,000 Service Fund goal last night, as the two-month old drive swung into its final week with $6,500 of cash still to be pledged and $5,000 of pledges still to be collected.

A heavy curtailment of Council expenditures was forecast by Treasurer Ray A. Goldberg '48 unless the present rate of contribution greatly increases before the door-to-door canvassing ends this Sunday. Allocations to charities and to Phillips Brooks House will be especially affected.

Ony $13,500 So Far

Only $13,500 has been turned over to the Council's coffers so far, just 54 percent of the present estimated budget for the year.

Lack of finances following the Yale weekend and delays connected with veterans' checks were mentioned by Goldberg as possible reasons for the slump, but "students apathy" was also blamed. Citing the Salzburg Seminar and NSA as evidences of the Council's ever-increasing importance in the College, he called upon students to rally, in support of this only fund-raising drive of the year.

Charities Will Suffer

"The need for charities is particularly great this year," said Goldberg, "and it is there that will suffer most if our resources fall lower than the necessary $25,000." Several new charities have applied recently for contributions, including the United Negro College Fund, to which Yale students donated $7,000 last year.

Latest reports showed the Yard well ahead of both the Houses and Commuters in per capita support of the drive, with Massachusetts Hall boasting a 100 percent record.

The opening gun for the drive was fired early in October. Every member, resident, and commuter in the College was hit by canvassers in what President Edric A. Weld, Jr. '46, called "one of the most carefully organized and efficiently carried out campaigns in Council history."