College Girls Can Be Mothers Too, Femmes Declare

Both Wellesley and Radcliffe students jumped to the defense of their Alma Maters last night, after reading the recent claim of author Philip Wylio that "a college education will probably make a girl less happy, more foolish, not very knowledgeable, and a total failure as a mother."

Most 'Cliffe-dwellers "plan to marry after graduation," one Briggs-Haller commented, "and go to college only to become more intelligent wives and more interesting companions for their educated husbands." Other girls at the Radcliffe derm, where the article elicited bitter criticism, agreed that their education was definitely accomplishing this purpose.

The more-intelligent-companion theory was seconded by several Lake Waban dwellers, who saw in college a training- ground for the responsibilities of marriage, rather than a detriment to it.

Princeten-bred Wylie's article, which appeared in the December issue of a uation-wide woman's magazine, struck a final blow by insisting that a girl at college "loses four of the years that are biologically best for bearing children."