Popular Criticism Snags Nominating Machinery of '48 Class Committee

Nominations for the 1948 Permanent Class Committee hit a momentary snag yesterday when members of the class called for a Student Council investigation of the automatic nomination of a number of former members of the Temporary Class Committee.

Twelve members of the temporary committee were on the list of nominations released Monday by the nominating committee. The Council agreed that this ran counter to its own Class Committee's recommendation that men appointed to the temporary body in their freshman year not be placed automatically on the Seniors' ballot.

Council President Edrie A. Wold, Jr. '46, however, refused to comment on the protest movement. As far as the Council is concerned, he said, the nominations will stand.

Two Names Dropped

Meanwhile the nominating committee itself dropped two men from its original slate. Investigation showed that Robert C. Cobb '48 was incligible under dean's office regulations and that Robert Dudley '48 is in the Class of 1949.

The deadline for nominating by petition has been pushed back from 10 o'clock last night to 6 o'clock tomorrow night by Ernest M. Howell '47, chairman of the Council's Election Procedures Committee. Petitions must bear 25 names, with each member of the Class of 1948 eligible to sign for only one candidate. Seven such petitions are now in Howell's hands.

Preferential Ballot

Howell further stated that the final election will be held by preferential ballot despite a specific recommendation to the contrary by Daniel P.S. Paul's Class Committee. The announcement followed a Student Council veto.

The nominating committee first met Friday night but adjourned because a quorum was not present. At that time the committee included the entire 15-man Temporary Class Committee plus one member of the Class of '48 from each House and Dudley Hall. At its second meeting, Monday evening, all but five members of the Temporary Class Committee were dropped from the nominating committee which then went on to nominate itself and 23 others.