Ambassador Tells UN Group India Seeking World Peace

"Even if the two titans, the United States and Soviet Russia, come to a showdown, India must try to bring about a peaceful settlement of their differences," asserted Asaf Ali, India's first ambassador to the United States, in a speech at Littauer yesterday.

Speaking to a capacity audience, he emphasized the need for a stronger U.N. and permanent world peace. In response to questions from the audience he clarified his government's position on American loans, socialism, and the caste system.

The meeting, which was sponsored by the Harvard U. N. Council, was told that India had become a creditor nation, and wanted no loans for the purchase of U. S. goods.

He explained that "socialism has gone about half way in India"; with the nationalization of public utilities, defense industries, the radio, steel, coal, and fuel production completed or pending, everything else will be left to private enterprise.

Caste System Outmoded

Claiming that the caste system was not a part of modern India, he pointed out that former "untouchables" sit side by side with Jawarharlal Nehru, who belongs to the highest caste, in the Ministry of State.

Asaf Ali was educated in Great Britain and Delhi, was jailed a total of eight years for his political activities in India, and has held both a ministry in the interim government and a seat in the central legislative assembly. The 58-year old lawyer met with a Hindustani student group after his talk.