Prize Will Honor Student Writing

Outstanding College writing which appears "in the CRIMSON, Lampoon, Advocate, or other medium of undergraduate expression at Cambridge" will win a $100 collegiate "Pulitzer Prize" each May in a new award honoring the memory of Dana Reed '48, chairman of the '48 Album Board reported missing in action Armistice Day of 1944.

Proffered by the 1948 Album Board, the Prize Fund consists of a profit earned by the '43 yearbook under Reed's direction, Eric Larrabee '43, announced yesterday in New York that the first board of judges will include Frederick Lewis Allen, editor of Harper's Magazine, Edward Weeks, editor of the Atlantic Monthly, and Louis M. Lyons, Curator of the Nieman Foundation.

Reed served as executive editor of the CRIMSON in addition to holding posts on the Student Council and the Guardian, prowar journal of the social sciences. He disappeared during a 15th Air Force mission over northern Italy.

Remaining members of the staff, many engaged at present in journalistic and literary fields, voted recently to distribute the '43 Album profit in prizes of $100 over a period of years "in honor of Dana Reed and in recognition of undergraduate writing such as that in which he participated."

Administration of the funds will remain in the hands of the Album Staff although the panel of three nationally known editors or writers will be selected annually to act in an evaluating capacity.