Smoking but Still No Women Will Be Permitted in Lamont, Metcalf Says

Smoking will be permitted in many parts of the new Lamont library, but Radcliffe undergraduates will not, says Keyes DeW. Metcalf, director of the University library.

Although there will be no smoking in the reading room itself, there are few other places where it is forbidden, and a special room is even being set aside expressly for talking and smoking.

A far cry from present restrictions in Widener, students will locate books for themselves, and will actually have to pass through the stacke to reach the reading room. Together with a new and simpler system of cataloguing and charging, this will materially reduce time required to take out a book.

Radcliffe undergrads will still get the cold shoulder at Lamont, though as in Widener, girl graduate students will have free run. At present, a Cliffe undergraduate must order books from Widener through the Radcliffe library unless she is an honors student, in which case she may call for the book personally.

"We are trying." says Mctcalf. "to provide a library that will be satisfactory to the students, and we believe it can be done to the students will do their share."

For the last three years committees of students have worked with the library board on matters connected with the new library.