Council Backs Down on '48 Election Methods; Few Attend Open Meeting

Protest Overthrows Preferential Ballot

Student Council expediency collapsed like a punctured balloon before the onslaught of class-spirited indignation as Council members reneged on their previous decision last night, revising the entire '48 Permanent Class Committee election procedure.

Throwing out the preferential ballot system in favor of an independently-backed straight election plan, the Council voted that '48 Class members select a minimum of four candidates from the listed slate of 42 for the 12-man committee.

In addition voters must mark A, B, and C before the names of their choices for the three Class Marshall posts. Short biographies of each candidate will be included on the ballot form, and the ballot boxes will be sealed to prevent confusion.

Council Has Responsibility

Admitting that the '48 Nominations Committee had badly mishandled its job, Levin H. Campbell, 3rd '48, fornier Council president, said, "The Council has an obligation, as the final election authority, to salvage what it can and revise the procedure, regardless of the extra time and expense."

The Council reversal was led by members Michael B. Rothenberg '49 and Ray A. Goldberg '48, who acknowledged that the Council had voted in the preferential ballot system last Monday evening "without considering the alternatives thoroughly because it was midnight and we all wanted to get out."