Council Seeks 250 Auto Lot Users

Provisional plans for University operation of a Soldiers Field parking lot for students will begin to roll today when the Student Council takes over the Athletic Association ticket office to sign up those wishing overnight facilities for their cars.

The Council must find 250 car owners by Thursday, when it vacates the office, for the parking lot plan to go into effect.

Under the plan, autoists are to rent parking space for five months at $3.50 per month, in return for which the lot will be guarded from 5 o'clock each evening until 8 o'clock the following morning. The University also offers snow removal facilities, but refuses to assume any responsibility for cars parked in the lot.

Charge on Term Bill

The H.A.A. office will be open for the rental of parking space from 9 to 5 o'clock. Each student participating in the program will be required to sign a form authorizing the University to charge $17.50 on his term bill for the lot rental.

The $4375 raised from rentals will cover services and wages at $13 a day, construction of a guard house, fences, and gates costing $975, snow removal, and a Boston parking permit.

Three shifts will comprise the 13-hour period each night when the lot is guarded. For at least two of these periods, the watch will be done by students supplied by the Student Employment Office.

Council, and subsequent Corporation and H.A.A. action on the parking lot arose out of threats by the Cambridge constabulary of crackdowns against parking violators. Particularly threatened were overnight parkers on side streets.