Hamlet's Wins HTW Assent As Next Show

Kilty to Direct New Local Interpretation

After being trampled and slandered for nearly three hours by members of the Harvard Theatre Workshop in a boisterous meeting last night, "Hamlet" was nodded in as the group's next production. The work will be presented March 18 through 22.

Various pieces of experiment drama, William Shakespeare's "The Tempest," and "Troilus and Cressida," as well as Shaw's "Major Barbara" were attacked, defended and finally thrown out in favor of an experimental interpretation of "Hamlet".

Kilty Elected Director

Jerome T. Kilty '49, who recently acted Falstaff in "Henry IV, Part I" and directed the club's production of Shaw's "Saint Joan" last spring was unanimously elected director.

According to Kitty, the production will attempt to get away from the traditional nineteenth century. Hamlet, a middle-aged romantic with a mature, if resigned philosophy of life. The HTW Hamlet will be adapted to a college-audience and to a college cast.

Hamlet to be Rejuvenated

Kilty asserted that difficulties that have forced most great actors to wait until middle age before acting Hamlet will be dispensed with by re-interpreting him as a young man.

In a further attempt to disabuse the audience's, traditional conceptions of Hamlet, the group voted to reduce staging and costuming to austerity. Kilty basked that all members of the club and any one interested i appearing in the play come to part readings in Sanders Theatre today at 1:30 o'clock.

At present the HTW is coasting along on a reputation it started to earn with its extra-massive production of "St. Joan" last year. Its first effort was a unique artistic and financial failure which froze Rindge Tech auditorium, Gerhardi's "I Was a King in Babylon."