Prospects of Capitalism Not Worth A Nickel at Widener Clearance Sale

By Richard W. Wallace

Not mere bargain hunters, but students of intellectual history and sociological problems thronged the monthly book clearance sale of Widener Library yesterday, noting sinister trends barometric of national catastrophe.

Most ominous element on the periodical waste paper counter was the tome of the B. J. Field titled "The Prospects of American Capitalism" which appeared to be worth only a nickel, with no takers at closing time.

Fingerprints in the dust of time, on the contrary, testified to more than sporadic interest in the covers of "The Class Struggle in France," a two-volume work that found the intersection of supply and demand curves at 50 cents.

The hopeless cause of world peace found no sympathizers, however, with one ancient biblic title page addressed to "three great war lords." The appeal, sandwiched between the prophecy of Micah IV:3 and beginning "they shall beat their swords into plowshares" was not addressed to Joseph Stalin, Harry Truman, and Clement Attlee, but "Your Majesties George William, and Nicholas" in the year 1911.

Sound works such as "training the Boy" by McKeever of the spare the red school of pedagogy and even an Argentinean publication entitled "veritas" were also ignored for more sensationalist and pornographic volumes on Medieval art.