Students Jam Trains, Buses, Planes In Pre-Holiday Spurt

Tremendous movements of humanity through planes, trains, buses, and automobiles this week will herald the advent of another Christmas. As the holiday draws closer, local vacation crowds will swell till they hit their peak next Wednesday.

A late checkup of the transportation situation in Boston revealed the following:

Students will overflow South Station today, when most of the local schools and colleges let out, Already yesterday, the number of young passengers was on the rise.

With a 15 percent fare increase on interstate coach travel now in effect, the New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad will meet the heavy rush by providing extra cars and employing special schedules on their peak days Tuesday and Wednesday.

Plane reservations at the American Airlines are booked solidly for next Wednesday, but the company hopes to accommodate last minute applicants through extra flights and cancellations. Greatest air travel will be between Boston and New York City. All airlines reported heaviest student reservations for today and tomorrow.

Extra Buses Added

Fifty additional buses will place the Greyhound Bus Company in a good position to handle its customers during the Christmas rush, the terminal manager asserted yesterday. He expected the passenger loads to be spread out, reaching their maximum on Wednesday. Hordes of students will jam the buses today.

The American Automobile Association reported that road conditions will continue to be good till Christmas, unless a snowstorm should break out. Trafile will be most dense on Wednesday and Christmas day.

Robie's, a local car renting concern, stated that business for the holiday season was not particularly heavy, compared to the Yale game weekend when all vehicles were rented out two weeks in advance.

At the University Travel Company, College students' orders for plane and train tickets were about equal, while there was little demand for bus seats.