Stars and Bars Will Sparkle Through Freshman Smoker

Carnahan Clearance Ends 7 Year Dearth

Freshman smokers will fill Sanders Theatre again with free cigarettes, liquor, and sparkling names of stage and screen early next term for the first time snce the spring of 1941.

John H. Carnahan '50, chairman of the Student Council Freshman Affairs Committee, asserted last night that, "an attempt will be made to surpass all previous smoker gaiety," but added that he felt "this is a difficult standard to beat."

Police had to be called at the last pre-war smoker to open a path for the eminent Sally Rand after her timely lecture entitled, "What the Typical Stage-Door Johnny is Looking for when he Stage-Door Johnnies a Burlesque Theatre Stage Door."

Carnahan announced the election procedure for the eight committeemen from the Class of 1951 who will supervise the revival of the pre-war Freshman celebration, to take place February 27. Tomorrow, nominating petitions will be circulated among the Freshmen at the Union dining hall and must bear a total of thirty signatures before they are submitted to the Secretary of the Union on December 10.

In an election on December 15, eight of the nominees will be selected to lay plans for the festivities and to solicit talent which may run anywhere from Mayor Curley to Greta Garbo.

Other smokers in the past have borne such renowned names as Frank Fay. Eva Le Galhenne, Hildegarde, and Babe Ruth.