Faculty Move Passes Navy's Training Plan

Students May Receive Degree And Commission as Ensign Under New Holloway Scheme

After a conference at University Hall yesterday, the Faculty of Arts and Sciences voted approval of the new Holloway Plan, a four-year training program leading to graduation with Bachelor's degrees and an Ensign commission in the Naval Reserve.

Certain reservations to the plan, which provides for Government-financed schooling of a Reserve Officers Training Corps chosen from high school applicants by competitive exams, were made by the Faculty to preserve a balance between regular college studies and special Naval courses.

The Holloway plan, recently passed by Congress as Public Law 729 and due to go into operation next fall, requires trainees to take four full courses in Naval Science, Mathematics through trigonometry, plus a full year of college physics. The Faculty resolutions also demand that students fulfill the usual College language, concentration and distribution plan requirements.

Since students under this plan of study are limited to 18 courses, both parties granted modification to these heavy demands. The Navy was granted power to reduce course requirements when its demands make completion of both plans impossible. The Faculty may grant reduction of the usual concentration regulations, and the Mathematics and Physics courses can be passed off by "appropriate high-school courses."

When the plan gets underway next fall, winners of the competitive exams go to the college of their choice, fully backed with tuition, fees and $600 annual pay. Their half of the bargain is fulfilled by taking three summer training cruises while undergraduates, followed by a two-year tour of duty as an active member of the Naval Reserve.