Crimson Mermen Swamp Columbia In Sole Major Victory of Weekend

Coach Ulen's Swimmers Sink Lions 46-29, Take Six Out of Nine Contests at Morningside Heights as Freshman Team Downs Andover Opponents, 34-32, at Indoor Athletic Building

Water proved the most favorable medium for the Crimson sports offensive in a weekend marred by reversals on ice, snow, canvas, and court, as Hal Ulen's Varsity swimmers swamped Columbia at New York on Saturday afternoon, 46 to 29. This fourth straight victory makes the mermen the only undefeated unit on the midyear roster.

While Coach Ulen was watching his men take six out of nine events on Morningside Heights, the Freshmen ruled the waves of the Indoor Athletic Building Pool, by a two-point victory margin over a strong Andover squad, 34 to 32.

Columbia Pool No Obstacle

Familiarity with the Grecian-style circular pool of Columbia proved an insufficient advantage for the Lion swimmers. The leadoff win by the Crimson's medley team of Dave Smith, Chuck Hoelzer, and Steve Wise was quickly followed by Jerry Gorman and Norm Watkins copping first and second in the 220-yard freestyle.

Dave St. John of Columbia was slated to take the 50 yard sprint by pregame prediction, but Bill MacVickar got a fine start and edged him for the sprint distance. In the 100, however, St. John was able to turn the tables.

Tommy Drohan and Bob Aaron, in that order, split the honors for the Crimson in the Dive. At this point the Lion raised a little growl as Columbia's St. John with his teammate Fred Dupuy adding a point, won the 100 free. Then a Columbia' grand slam by Ed Lemaniki and Henry Avwater followed in the backstroke.

By the fifth lap of the gruelling 440-yard distance, however, both Jerry German and Forbes Norris of the Crimson were the masters of the race, and then the meet, hitting the floats 12 laps later first and second. And with a comfortable 24 points to relax with, Coach Ulen could not be disturbed by the Columbia victory in the final 400 yard relay.

Yardlings Also Victorious

Back home Jim McLane was the star of the Freshman Andover victory, as he took the 100 yard freestyle with relative ease, and made up a substantial half-way deficiency to win the 220 yard freestyle. When Andover's Hart left the first two places in dive to Winslow Briggs and Wayne Barnet, the Crimson's following medley relay win was enough to mathematically clinch the outcome.