Winthrop Gets Quorum For Initial Nominations

Campbell Views Big Turnout As 'Encouraging'; Four More Sessions Slated for Tonight

Winthrop House assembled a 110-man quorum last night in the first of a College wide series of Student Council nomination meetings, and successfully put the new constitution's elective system to its first test.

Initiative won over student apathy when, ten minutes after meeting time, House Committeeman Richard G. Kleindienst '47 announced to the 30 members present, "Go out and get three more House members apiece and bring them back with you if you want to see this meeting succeed."

In accordance with the revised constitution's scheme of closer contact between the Council and the student body, Richard G. Axt '46 and Levin H. Campbell, 3rd '48, President of the Council, spoke before the gathering.

Time consumption Stressed

"Because Council work requires a good deal of time, it is important to elect men already not too embroiled in outside activities," said Campbell after Axt had outlined the student government's work of the past year.

Four Houses, Dunster, Kirkland, Leverett, and Lowell, will convene tonight at 7:30 o'clock in their respective common rooms to nominate their own Student Council representatives. Dudley Hall will meet tomorrow at 2:30 o'clock; Adams and Eliot Houses, at 7:30 the same evening.

"Very Encouraging," Says Campbell

Campbell last night called the Winthrop House turn-out "very encouraging," and added, "The Council is now back on its feet. Considering its enlarged postwar scope, with good men elected, it will be in the strongest position it has ever enjoyed."

Campbell stressed that the new electees would serve on merely an "Interim group," with a full election to be held in May.