Students Exhaust Ballot Supply in Early Voting

Heavy Polling in Most Houses Shows Widespread Interest In New Constitution Issues

Five thousand ballots proved an inadequate supply to meet the unforeseeably heavy but still uneven desire of the College to express itself yesterday on the work of the Constitutional Committee's program of reform. Chairman Edric A. Weld '46 promised as the polls closed that 2500 more were in preparation, and would be rushed to replenish dwindling stocks in hard pressed points today.

At the conclusion of dinner and supper yesterday evening the Union had 600 blanks returned, with Lowell, Dunster, and Adams leading the rest of the Houses as they pressed close to 230 completed forms apiece.

Weld frankly confessed unpreparedness for such overwhelming response last night, recalling that the average college-wide election normally draws less than 2000 correctly marked votes, and that 2300 constituted an all time record.

"Yes" Votes Predominate

Unofficial surveys of early returns last night indicated a 90 percent trend in favor of the committee's recommendations. Weld informed his voting public last night that "we will need 2700 affirmative votes. Only a real majority will put us over."

Marring slightly the picture of "feverish enthusiasm" reported elsewhere were returns in Dudley Hall and Winthrop House. Thirty-five commuters has exercised their franchise as of last night.

In Leverett House, however, a large group of men refused to cast a vote until they had gone to the library to check the provisions in copies of the constitution available there.