HLU Supports Committee on Race Problem

Swarthmore Conference Sets Up Board to Aid Concerted Cooperation on Proposals

Liberal Union proposals for a Student Council minority Problems Committee, to work in cooperation with the Intercollegiate Race Relations Board set up at Swarthmore College Saturday, now pend Council action.

Recommendation of the new College group came yesterday after Staughton C. Lynd '50 had reported to the HLU Executive Committee the result of the Swarthmore convention, which was attended by representatives from 20 major eastern colleges. Lynd went as a delegate of the HLU and an informal AYD group.

Board Lists Objectives

The Race Relations board will attempt to coordinate simultaneous collegiate action toward the following proposals:

1) Elimination of racial and religious questions on college application blanks; 2) placement of students on college administration groups charged with formulating admissions policy; 3) establishment or race relations at various schools; 4) exchange of colored and white students between colleges; 5) support of such bills as the Fair Employment Practices Commission proposal.

Lynd explained that both the HLU and the formative AYD group has considered setting up their own committees to work with the Board, but had decided to make College cooperation with the organization more universal by submitting the matter to the Council.