Quakers Topple Varsity Swimmers, 46-29; Freshman Five Rallies to Trip Elis, 57-56

DeForest Breaks Three Marks For Penn as Mermen Lose Second Contest of Weekend

With significant assistance from the rest of his Pennsylvania colleagues, a chap named Don DeForest wrapped up 15 points by himself last Saturday in a meet against Hal Ulen's visiting men, and drowned them in their Philadelphia pool 46 to 29.

DeForest's performance not only set the pace in the 220 and 100 yard free-styles and the 150-yard breast stroke, but he didn't climb out of the water once in the three tries without engraving a Penn record in the scorebook.

In the distance race DeForest nipped a second off his own record of 2:15 flat made last year. His more modest effort in the 100 was enough to equal his own previous best, and the previous college record with 52.7. A little less than seven seconds was shaved from the 1934 record in the 200 yard breast stroke when the stop-watch showed 2:27.8 as the versatile waterman hit the wall.

As in the previous night against a Rutgers outfit which they met with even less success, the Varsity succeeded in placing only two men in leading slots. Chuck Hoelzer, stymied in his butterfly specialty with the runner-up spot, took it out on Penn's Bill Abbot in the 50-yard freestyle, with 24.7 seconds.

The results of the Penn engagement ties up third place in the Eastern Intercollegiates three ways, between the Crimson, Navy, and the Pennsylvanians. Last weekend's two unfortunate post-Yale encounters ended the dual meet campaign for Ulen's aggregation with something of a whimper. However, with at least ten entries, Ulen now points for individual laurels in next week's Eastern Intercollegiate swimming get-together at New Haven.