French Leave

Thanks to the GI Bill and a French demand for two-way intellectual travel, the number of American students spending their summers in the Old Country this year will be larger than ever before. The desirability of this arrangement, however, is deceiving, for despite the improved condition of France's economy and the marked strides the nation has made toward regaining her pre-war financial foundations, the country is still fairly shaky internally and a glut of recreation-seekers, travelling in the guise of students, may well put a stop to a great opportunity.

Provided the student can play his way and can locate a steamship berth in the three or four ships now beating toward Le Havre, the French Government will greet him with arms open wide. Special arrangements are available for housing and the longer he plans to stay in the country, the better the chances he has for a suitable place to stay. But the condition of French economy is deceptively sound and while there is food enough to handle all expected tourists, there is certainly none to spare. The tourist compensates for his food consumption by his usually large outlay, but the student, travelling on restricted means is in no position to recompense the country in such a fashion, and though the black market is now pretty well minimized, a sudden influx of soap-laden pseudo-students might well start it off again on its illegitimate way.

Because the French opportunities have not been too well publicized and because the prevailing red tape is discouraging, the number of takers has been low. But the moderate cost of living in France and the attractions of Paris in the Spring are bound to awaken an appetite for Gallic extension courses among those who never thought much of school work. France, a country with a crying need for tourist trade, is less concerned with the intellectual means of its prospective culture crop than it is with the dollars that will accompany it. The success of this program in future years will depend in large measure on the intentions demonstrated by the present group seeking overseas education. By neglecting their scholastic objectives in favor of more bohemian ones, they can quickly transform a good thing into a tragic free-for-all, to the disadvantage of both French universities and well-intentioned students. Only the earnest need apply.