Munro Calls for Consideration of Higher Subsidies

Survey in Colleges Indicates Federal Veterans Aid Not Sufficient for Current Needs

Firm confirmation of the severe financial situation facing ex-servicemen in college came yesterday from John U. Munro '34, assistant counselor for Veterans.

In answer to a letter from the "Massachusetts Veteran," state AVC publication, Munro said that "Harvard Veterans' authorities have consistently urged consideration of higher government subsidies for married students with families."

Asserting that veterans here have been "enormously successful students," Munro added that the whole standard of University grades has gone up, with about one-third of the undergraduate body on the Dean's list.

"The most critical problem now," said Munro, "is the financial burden of the married veterans who are struggling to do good work in college and are supporting a family with limited resources."

"The evidence in the College scholarship office shows that the expenses of single students are running about $30 to $40 over government subsistence grants. The expenses of married students are running considerably higher depending on family circumstances."

Further backing for last night's AVC canvassing, in which the Liberal Union assisted, came from two other Greater Boston schools. A poll at Boston University revealed that 68 percent of the veterans there either would have to leave under the present subsistence rates or are doubtful about remaining, while a similar survey at Northeastern showed living costs running about $30 above the government payments.