College Activities Attract Majority Of Class of 1950

Extra-Curricular Participation By Yardlings Equals Pre-War Rate, Red Book Poll Reveals

Fifty-five percent of the Class of 1950 participates in extra-curricular activities, according to a recent tally of the more than 1,100 activities cards received for the '50 Red Book.

When athletic participation is deducted from the activities scored, the poll reveals that fewer than one-third of the class is engaged in anything besides their studies.

Still further breakdown of the Freshman response shows a considerable difference of interest between veterans and non-veterans with only two out of every five ex-servicemen doing any non-academic work as opposed to the five out of eight ratio recorded among their non-veteran counterparts.

The gap between veterans and non-veterans is widened still further if athletics is omitted from the calculation. In this count, 45 percent of the non-veteran Yardlings and 22 percent of the veterans are found to be participating in extra-curricular activities.

These figures parallel closely those of pre-war classes. A survey of the 1939 Freshman class, for example, showed that one-half of the Class of 1943 Yardlings spent time in some activity.

The Class of 1944 had an almost identical record, since 54 percent of its members were active in some organized non-scholastic field and 35 percent in non-athletic groups.