Election Afterthought

Fearful hallucinations among the politically conservative about the new Student Council Constitution have faded as the recent Council elections become history without unpleasant incident. Encouraging evidences of students interest, the spirited support of candidates and the generally heavy voting, serve to vindicate the new Constitution as a concrete advance towards the democratic ideal.

Doubts entertained by some pre-election crities that sufficient student interest could be aroused were dismissed when large quorums turned out at the nominating meetings. Both the subsequent discussions of problems facing the Council and the political campaigning that preceded the elections point to the fact that the majority of the student body has offered more than lip-service to the realization of the underlying spirit of the Constitution. Other unthinking critics have expressed fear of this sudden increase in political action, apparently unmindful that such naturally stimulated interest is a sign of health rather than discase in the body politic. The whole question of how much political activity is desirable in an election necessarily involves the basic philosophy of student government: whether the Council is to be a truly representative body elected with a clear understanding of student problems and opinions or merely the private ring of career men and back room caucuses.

Any attempt to impose unnatural bonds upon normal political activity in Council elections would deny the ideal of fullest possible participation. Cliques and bloes which thrive on low vote turnouts could more readily victimize the Councils. The use of the preferential ballot has been beneficial in preventing minority-backed candidates from finishing first. The present election procedure is by no means perfect in this respect, but it does mark departure from the antiquated idea that all political division is an evil.