Democracy Needs Rebirth, Dorothy Thompson States

World communism, on the Russian plan, would substitute terror for war, asserted Dorothy Thompson in New Lecture Hall last night, as she found any vigorous counter-movement by the United States impossible without "a genuine renascence of Democracy."

Revolution based on the American ideal of 1776, including a single ground rent tax, conservation of land, and nationalization of natural wealth, is the only preventive for the triumph of Russia, she declared. "The crime of capitalism was that it created the proletariat," she continued, "and the crime of Russia is that she maintains it under a system of police capitalism."

Man's natural instinct for cooperation must have a universal rebirth, she remarked. "Money is now the God of the masses as well as the classes," she went on, saying that men are divided into organizations of labor and management "solely by leaders who wish to use them."

Miss Thompson spoke under the auspices of the Harvard and Radcliffe Zionist Leagues as well as the Harvard Forum.