The Classics

Anthropology to English

As Franklin P. Adams learnedly lamented in a recent article, the study of Latin "In this broad land . . . is in cups favlliarum." For this reason, perhaps, many students are inclined to pass over the Classics and their offerings both to concentrators and to those who are merely seeking a good extra course as an archaic institution whose last purpose in life was canceled when the Faculty abolished the ancient language requirement for the A. B. degree last fall.

Those students who bother to investigate, however, will discover in the Department of the Classics a proportionately higher number of headline professors than in any other department, a tutorial system unsurpassed elsewhere in the College, and a sort of esprit de corps within the small group of Classics concentrators which is hard or impossible to find in most of the larger and more "useful" departments.

A student who enrolls in the Department of the Classics may concentrate in any of four fields, including Classics, Greek, Latin, and Classics and a Related Literature or Subject. Minimum requirements in the first three areas are six courses, or seven for Honors. The field of Classics and a Related Literature by Subject (i.e., English, French, German, Fine Arts, History, Philosophy) is intended for men who wish to combine the study of an ancient language with some modern subject, and stipulates at least two courses in the Classics.

Tutorial System Booming

In addition to the regular courses, the high proportion of teachers to pupils in the Department of the Classics--nearly one assistant professor or higher for every three concentrators--makes possible a tutorial system that leaves nothing to be desired and stands in sharp contrast to many of the other departments now so badly in need of adequate tutorial.

This exceptional tutorial situation may be responsible for the enthusiasm shown by Classics concentrators in their fields--or it may be that the voluntary and what is often called the "impractical" nature of the Classics assures automatically the enrollment of only these students who enjoy the work, and are interested in it for its own sake. Whatever the reason, such things as unrequired, spontaneous themes and outside work are familiar occurrences to Classics professors, and the general enthusiasm of concentrators is clearly evidence by such organizations as the active Classical Club.

Seniors Get Special Exams

All special examinations in the Department of the Classics are given in the senior year. For non-Honors candidates, these entail written tests on the literatures of Greece and Rome, and the translation at sight of Greek and Latin authors. Honors candidates in the Classics must also take a composition examination. Greek and Latin honors students may substitute a thesis for the composition work, as may those in the combined field.

At present the enrollment in the Department of the Classics is 47 students, representing a virtual return to the prewar figures. The abolition of the ancient language requirement for an A.B. has had no effect on the number of Classics students, nor on those non-concentrators enrolled in individual courses in the department.

Many of the courses given under Classics headings are as close to general education as a student can come without being in the program itself, and such classes as Greek 10, given by Werner W. Jaeger, University Professor, and requiring no knowledge of Greek of Latin, are annually filled with students concentrating in everything from Economics to Bio-chemistry. Greek G and Latin G, both elementary courses, are larger at present than ever before, and are filled for the most part by non-Classics majors.

Faculty Is Outstanding

It is necessary to be enrolled in the department, however, in order to realize the full value of courses by such men as Jaeger, John H. Finley '25, Eliot Professor of Greek and the congenial master of Eliot House, Arthur S. Pease '02, Pope Professor of the Latin language and Literature and Mason Hammond '25, associate professor of Greek and Latin and of History. In addition to the professors, there are many exceptionally competent and highly enjoyable members of the Society of Fellows who assist in the larger courses, such as John Moore '38, Junior Fellow of the Society of Fellows, whose sections in Virgil were one of the high points of the last year for Latin students, concentrators and non-concentrators alike.

At a time when the need for General Education seems more immediate and imperative than over before, many people feel that the Classics, rather than being on the wane, are ready for an increased recognition and a new awareness by students of the broad, universal knowledge they impart.