T.S. Eliot '10 Will Give Gray Poetry Reading on May 7

T.S. Eliot '10 will give a reading from his poetry on Wednesday, May 7, at 4:30 o'clock in Sanders Theatre. He will appear under the auspices of the Morris Gray Poetry Fund, established in 1929 by Morris Gray '77 for "the purchase of books and the giving of occasional talks on current modern poetry."

Considered by many critics as America's most significant poet, Eliot has lived most of his life in England and is a British citizen.

Works by Eliot include "After Strange Gods," "The Use of Poetry," "Collected Poems," "Murder in the Cathedral," "The Family Reunion," and "Four Quartets."

First Use of Sanders

Eliot's talk will mark the first time that a Morris Gray lecture has been given in Sanders Theatre. The decision to use the Memorial Hall annex apparently arose from University experience last year, when over 900 students tried to jam into Emerson D to hear W. H. Auden.

A last-minute change in the meeting's site, made to accommodate the overflow crowd, resulted in a mad hegira to New Lecture Hall that caused British poet Auden to murmur, "It was rather frightening."

Those who have preceded Eliot in delivering poetry readings this year include Robert Frost, Wallace Stevens, and John Ciardi.