Nine Visits Providence Tomorrow, Meets Crusaders Here on Saturday

By Irvin M. Horowitz

In preparation for the first game of the crucial Yale series next Wednesday, the Varsity baseball team takes on two non-league opponents this weekend. Coach Dolph Samborski's forces will celebrate Memorial Day at Providence tomorrow, visiting Brown, and Holy Corss invades Soldiers Field for a 3 o'clock game on Saturday afternoon.

Before the spring rains arrived on the New England area, a home-and-home series had been arranged with the Bruins, but the Cambridge half of the bargain was cancelled last month. The Providence nine is rated about on a par with the Crimson, although Brown gave Boston College considerably more trouble than the Varsity in bowing twice to the Eagles. B.C. also took Harvard in two games, but experienced little difficulty on either occasion.

The Holy Cross engagement will find the Samborski squad anxious to avenge a 9-to-8 beating suffered at Worcester early in the season, when the Varsity blew an early lead and presented the Crusaders their victory with several ninth inning errors. Holy Cross, a traditionally strong baseball college, edged the Boston Braves in an exhibition game this week, and is gunning for a bid to the NCAA championships next month.

Jack Wallace and Brendon Reilly, the Varsity's one-two pitching punch, will probably share mound duties this weekend, with lra Godin, the Crimson's Hugh Casey, held for relief duties.

Ivy League statistics released yesterday revealed that Harvard's batting holiday against Cornell last weekend had boosted the team's batting average from a last-place .202 to a more respectable .245, and a fourth place position.

In individual batting, Walt Coulson, at .333, is still the only Varsity player above .300. Coulson's average is tenth highest in the league. Hilly Barron, whose four for four performance against Cornell hoosted him to .286, and Billy Fitz (.250) follow Conlson.