Death of Brother Compels Eliot to Call Off Reading

Sudden Announcement Leaves Rescheduling Uncertain as Poet Terms Plans Indefinite

T. S. Eliot '10 will be unable to meet his Wednesday reading engagement here because of the death last night of his brother, Henry W. Eliot '02. I. A. Richards, who disclosed that the lecture had been postponed, stated that no date for the program could be set now, as "Mr. Eliot's plans are still indefinite."

Cancellation of the reading brought to a temporary standstill plans for the first Morris Gray Poetry Reading lecture ever to be scheduled for Sanders Theatre. Expectations of a large audience and experience with overflow crowds at last year's lecture had led University officials to reserve the large room for Wednesday's program.

Hope for Rescheduling

Although Professor Richards could name no final date for the Eliot reading, he added that the poet will probably come to Cambridge to fulfill his engagement at a later date.

Other men who have preceded Eliot on the list of Morris Gray lectures this year include such poets as Robert Frost, Wallace Stevens, and John Clardi.