HLU Elects Houghteling President, Supports Student Activities Center

Frederick D. Houghteling '50 and Richard M. Hays '49 were elected president and vice-president of the Harvard Liberal Union for the fall term in a meeting which bore little resemblance to the hotly contested affair of last October. Both Houghteling and Hays were the only nominees to their respective positions as was Dwaine W. Dilts '50 who was chosen secretary.

At the close of the meeting members of the HLU voted 51 to 5 to support the Student Council's proposal of a Student Activities Center as a War Memorial. Opposition came from those who supported a scholarship plan.

David Kligler '47 was elected Treasurer of the organization while Robert A. Levine '50 will head the Political Action Committee and Geoffrey W. White '48, the Harvard Affairs Committee. All won contested elections. White's election was the only one which ran along the lines of the recent HLU split on whether liberals can work with Communists.

White Represents Minority

White was elected on the platform of representing the views of the minority who held the above position and opposed the amendment requiring every HLU member to join Students for Democratic Action. SDA rejects Communist members.

Also adopted was a resolution opposing universal military training for the United States and supporting federal aid for education, with the suggestion that the HLU work with the PCA lobby on these objectives.