July, August Retirements to Take 11 from Faculty Board

Ballantine, Fernald, La Piana, Lyman, Kemp, Kazunjian Among New Emeritus Men

Eleven members of the University's faculties will retire this summer, six as of July 1 and five more on August 81.

Included in the earlier group are George La Piana, John H. Morison Professor of Church History Merritt L. Fernald '97, Fisher Professor of Natural History and Director of the Gray Herbarium; Alfred M. Tozzer, '00, John E. Hudson Professor of Archacology and Librarian of the Peabody Museum Library; Theodore Lyman '97, Director of the Jefferson Physical Laboratory; Walter F. Dearborn, professor of Education; and Dr. Varaztad H. Kazanjian, professor of Plastic Surgery.

August retirements will include Edward Ballantine '07, associate professor of Music; Harold S. Kemp, lecturer on Geography; Simeon B. Wolbach M.D. '03, Shattuck Professor of Pathological Anatomy; Henry W. Holmes '03, professor of Education; and Edward L. Gookin, registrar of the College Library.

La Piana Italian Scholar

One of the world's leading authorities on church history, Professor La Piana is a native of Palermo, Sicily, where he studied at the Lyceum of Monreale and the Royal University. There he also became professor of both Latin and History, before coming to the United States in 1913.

Since 1915 Professor La Piana has been connected with the University, teaching in most part at the Divinity School. His most noted recent work has been a book entitled "What to Do With Italy," upon which he and Gaetano Salvemini, du Bois Lecturer on the History of Italian Civilization, collaborated.

In 1891, when he was but 18 years old, Professor Fernald began work as an assistant in the Gray Herbarium where he has been working ever since. Known as one of the country's leading botanists, in 1940 Professor Fernald was awarded the Leidy Medal.

Tozzer Here 40 Years

Professor Tozzer has been noted as both an anthropologist and an archaeologist, and is an authority on the ancient peoples of Central America, particularly the Mayas. He has been connected with the University for more than forty years, and is an associate of Dunster House.

Dr. Lyman has been the director of Jefferson Physical Laboratory for well over half of its 63-year history. He has been a member of the faculty since 1902, although in 1926 he retired from his chair as Hollis Professor of Mathematics and Natural Philosophy.

Professor Ballantine, known for his famous composition "Variations on Mary Had a Little Lamb," has been teaching is the Music Department since 1912. He studied plane and composition for many years, both in this country and in Germany , and graduated from the College in 1907, with highest honors in Music.

Mr. Kemp is well-known to may undergraduates for his lectures in Geography 1, which he gave for the last time this past term.

The resignations of two other faculty members were also disclosed, Edward P. Herring has resigned as associate professor of Government to devote his full time to work with the Carnegie Corporation, and Clauda M. Simpson, Jr. has resigned as assistant professor of English in order to become professor of English at Ohio State University