Degrees to Bradley, Marshall, Oppenheimer

Sheriff Kew Inaugurates Rites With Procession Headed by University Marshal Fitz

Seven hundred sixty nine Seniors were among the 2,185 students who received degrees at the tradition-cloaked Commencement ceremony this morning before an audience of graduates' guests, alumni, and visiting dignitaries that filled Tercentenary Theater to capacity.

The solemn ritual of the 296th Commencement began with a March of the Senior Class through the Yard to Memorial Church, where Dean Sperry conducted opening prayers. Following the service, they were joined by all other degree candidates under the direction of their several marshals. Chief Marshal R. Keith kane '22 led the march behind the University band paying tribute to the John Harvard statue before proceeding to the exercises before Memorial Church.

As always, the students lined both sides of the pathway between Widener and the Chapel steps to watch the procession of College, local, and national leaders parade to the speaking platform. University Marshal Dr. Reginald Fitz '06 again led the march, accompanied by Loring R. Kew, Special Sheriff of Middlesex County. Kew, filling in for the ill Sheriff Joseph McElroy, symbolized the longstanding ties between the University and the Country.

University Officers March

The two leaders were followed by high University officers, the governing boards, faculty members, the 12 honorary degree recipients, Governor Robert F. Bradford '23, and other governmental and church leaders, alumni and guests.

Kew officially opened the ceremony by striking the platform three times with his scabbard, after which Dean Sperry offered the invocation. The Commencement parts were then delivered by James B. Peabody '45, who gave the Latin Salutatory, S. Douglas Cater '46 1G, and Robert V. Hansberger 2GB.

After an anthem by the Choir, President Conant awarded token degrees to the several Marshals representing graduating groups. He then awarded honorary degrees to 12 leaders in the fields of arts, science, literature, and public affairs, following which the ceremony was closed with a singing of the Commencement hymn and a final benediction by Dean Sperry.

Largest single group to receive degrees other than the graduating Seniors were the 429 students from the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, followed by a Business School Class of 361 members. The School of Engineering awarded 162 degrees, the Medical School 131, Law School 126, Public Health 85, Education 36, Design 30, Public Administration 29, Divinity 20, and Dental Medicine 7