Stern Asks More Knowledge, Less Grade - Pursuing

Orator Addresses Seniors at Annual Class Day Exercises; Fay, MacArthur Also Speak

Underneath blue, windswept skies yesterday in the Eliot-Kirkland-Winthrop Triangle, Class Orator Philip M. Stern '47 told a capped-and-gowned Senior Class that although the General Education Program has moved out of the clothbound stages, Harvard must still "extend the growing and learning processes beyond the classroom and the library into other phases of college living."

To combat social apathy here (only 25 percent of the current graduating class took part in extra-curricular activities), the New Orleans Senior called for the establishment of "a central building to house and encourage these activities."

Objectively-graded short-answer examinations also came in for a blast by Stern, who said that they "too often call merely for a spewing forth of material from the lectures and reading."

Dean Hanford Honored

Other undergraduate speakers at the annual Class Day Literary Exercises included Peter W. Fay '45, of Cambridge, who delivered the traditionally humorous Ivy Oration--using the University's automatic calculator as his subject; and Herbert MacArthur '45 of Canton, who read his Class Poem.

As First Marshal, Thomas L. P. O'Donnell '47 presented the Senior Class colors to Richard W. Kimball '50 and Paul J. Douglas '50, who received the banner in behalf of the Freshman Class. O'Donnell later paid an extemporaneous tribute to retiring Dean Hanford. The University Band provided the musical background, and the ceremonies ended with the singing of the Class Ode, which was composed by Harold C. Fleming '44, of Atlanta, Georgia.