Halfway Totals in Vet Survey Show 15 to 39 Percent Not Getting Check

While the finance division of the Boston Veterans Administration office remained incommunicado so they could concentrate on getting out subsistence checks, the Weld Hall Veterans Office turned up midway through its University-wide check survey the information that from 16 to 39 percent are behind in their compensation.

Directed by Miss Margaret Witt, of the Veterans Office, the survey had covered by last night all of the Law School except fifth-termers and the whole of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. In addition, the College had been sent cards to fill out, which will be tabulated after the return deadline tomorrow.

148 In Law School

Of the 935 veterans questioned in the Law School, 148 reported that they had not received at least one check. Students in the fifth term will be queried at their registration tomorrow.

A larger percentage replied negatively in the Graduate School, where 99 out of 255 were behind in their checks. Miss Witt said that since the survey was started in the Graduate School last Wednesday, some of the 99 may have already received their government allotments.

Work Out Settlement

Miss Witt is conducting the inquiry so that she can work out a settlement with the Regional Office if the condition warrants action. She said yesterday that the Office, which is reported to be undermanned, is still working feverishly to mail out checks.