43 Enter Summer Sculling Regatta

Wherry Trials Begin Monday

Forty-three oarsmen of the single vessel variety have entered the six-class competition for the H.A.A. summer sculling medals, Bill Dowd, clerk of course, disclosed last night, in announcing next week's schedule of trial heats and finals immediately after the entry deadline of 6 o'clock yesterday.

Among the 43, a battery of last spring and summer-of-'46 champions will return to the Charles for action next week; but no titles will ride on their sweepwash since every one will be competing in a new and advanced class.

Comp Class Largest

An entry list of ten in the wherry class has provided enough boats for three heats, Dowd stated, with the winner in each trial qualifying for the finals next Friday. The wherry men will be the first to row, their first heat scheduled for 3:30 o'clock Monday afternoon, and the second and third heats at 15 minute intervals thereafter.

On Tuesday afternoon, the compromise entrants, largest of the six classes with a total of 16, will race to qualify one from each of four heats. The seven men rowing in the novice singles will have two heats on Wednesday and will put up the top two in each heat for the finals.

Dowd said that the entries in the other three classes were not large enough to require any eliminations, revealing that there would be four in the junior singles, two in the 155-pound-singles, and four in the senior singles.

Haines Referee

He added that Bert Haines, coach of the 150-pound spring crews and director of eight-oared rowing at Weld this summer, will be the referee of all races.

With two of its four competitors emerging prominently in previous sculling regattas, the senior singles promises to be the tightest and most expertly rowed of the summer races. Sculler Tom Day holds last summer's 155-pound medal as well as the distinction of placing second that term in the winner's race and second in the senior singles last spring.

Dowd will doff his clerk-of-course appellation to challenge Day on the strength of his runner-up position last summer in a close meeting with Day as a lightweight oarsman.

Ed Carpenter, who won the half-mile novice singles last spring, has moved up a notch to the junior singles, and L.W. Barroll, last spring's compromise champion, will race in the novice singles class.

Tentative wherry schedule: first heat--Burrowes, Burton, Nilsson, Haas; second heat--Almeda, Page, Hobbs; third heat--Cartery, Shea, Benne.