Varsity Harriers Test New Medford Bridal Path Run

Equipped with blankets and towels, Varsity and Freshman cross country runners-three auto-loads of them-yesterday got their first real taste of the hilly Medford bridle path which is now the official University practice course.

Coach Mikkola, who earlier this week chalked out the winding five-mile course with Carroll Getchell, was happy to report that nobody got lost in the first full-scale hill workout. Otherwise, he wasn't in too happy a frame of mind yesterday.

Three of the men he was counting on to pull the Varsity squad together after last year's weak showing, are currently out of action. Frank Garley, captain-elect of the track-team, hasn't appeared at Dillon Field House yet; Bill O'Connor is under treatment for a recurrent leg injury; and Herby Pratt, considered by Jaakko as the possible dark horse of the '47 Varsity unit, still awaits the medical green light.

Fit and ready Varsity harriers who are getting in their five or six miles a day include Captain Huna Rosenfeld '47, Vin Moriarty '47, Johnny Cogan '50, Bill Baker '50 (last year's Freshman track captain), and Joe Leeming '50 (last year's Freshman cross country captain).