DISCUSSES STRUCTURE OF "OTHELLO" IN LECTURE

Prof. Kittredge Gives Second of Five Talks on the Shaksperean Tragedies-Draws New Estimate of Iago as Man of Trust and Honesty

"The most striking characteristic of Othello' is its structure. Whereas in most tragedies, the hero maintains control until the turning point in the play is reached, here we have the villain in command until the climax. It is proportionately hard to understand". Professor G. L. Kittredge '82 emphasized, this point in the second lecture of his series on the "Five tragedies of Shakspere" last night in Sanders Theatre.

During the course of his exposition of the plot. Professor Kittredge presented the salient features involved in the makeup of the characters. Of Othello he said, "He is often thought to have brought down destruction on his head by jealousy. It is not so. Othello's trouble is with his head not his heart, for he means well but has not the ability to choose". In the same manner the speaker discredited the popular impression of Iago as a smooth sly man by pointing out the absolute trust which was placed on him by Othello, and the honesty with which the author characterized him in the play. Continuing the story, Professor Kittredge laid stress on the pathetic quality of the scene between Othello and his condemned wife.