Crimson Romps over Husky Six, 11-3

By Bayard Hooper

It was a field day on ice for the hockey squad last night, as it made a 1948 home debut by crushing Northeastern, 11 to 3, at the Arena. The Crimson looked like a new team, dominating offensive play and keeping defensive action well under control the entire time.

The outcome was never in doubt, as every line outclassed the opposition and kept the puck in enemy territory a large part of the time. When the defense gave way to the aggressive, if disorganized Husky attack, Jack Lavalle, Johnny Chase, and Bill Yetman were there with steady work in the nets. Shaw McKean was outstanding in his now post on the first line, working well with Dave Key and Wally Sears, and accounting for three goals.

Greeley First Scorer

Dick Greeley lost no time in starting things, teeing off from the blue line for an unassisted marker after a more 2:12 of play. The Crimson kept the offense even after penalties, and Bram Arnold soon added the first of two tallies, taking the puck all the way unassisted. The defense, sparked by Greeley, withstood every threat, while McKean added a third goal to the cause after a flurry around the cage.

Jack Lavalle, whose 18 saves made him star of the period, finally lot Bob Barry push one through after a pile-up in front of the nets before the buzzer.

Slow Start

The second period got off to a sloppy start, but Dave Abbot managed to top off a disorganized rush with an unassisted goal at 2:12. McKean added his second tally at 10:15, but Northeastern struck back two minutes late while the Crimson were shorthanded. The tempo of play went up as George Minot angled in the sixth Crimson score at 14:45, Dick Greeley following with his second effort shortly thereafter.

Intermission and a futile change of Northeastern's goal guard were the only interruptions to this renewed burst of activity. Wally Sears and Shaw McKean paired up for a goal and an assist apiece within the opening minute in the final frame. Huntington followed on a beautiful play at 4:50, but the Huskies refused to be daunted and kept plugging, scoring twice more and keeping the action fast right down to the end.