HTW Selects Eliot Play for April Offering

Germanic Museum Scene of 'Murder'

"Murder in the Cathedral" by T. S. Eliot '10 last night was chosen by the Theatre Workshop for its spring production, president Jerome T. Kilty '50 announced.

The Eliot play, substituted for the originally scheduled production of "Hamlet" will be presented in the Germanic Museum during the week of April 11 to 18.

First performed in the Canterbury Cathedral in 1936, the play was presented by the Dramatic Club the following year in the court of the Fogg Museum. It depicts the murder of Thomas a Becket in the twelfth country.

Cast Next Term

The HTW will hold casting early next term. The script calls for 13 to 14 chiefly major parts and a chorus for which the group plans to use women speaking separately, Kilty said.

Sanders Theater originally was to be the scene of the sprig play, but Kilty pointed out that rental cost is prohibitive, and the fire laws demand a considerable limitation on scenery. Moreover, the University had given use of the auditorium to an outside organization during the week promised to the HTW.

Museum Best Site

The Germanic Museum affords the most satisfactory alternative in the University, Kilty said. The main hall, in which the production will be held, in built on the model of a medieval chapel and provides seating space for an audience of 150. In addition, it will be possible to use the organ for entr'acte music, and the use of scenery will be unnecessary.

Three other plays earlier considered for possible production were: "The Zeal of Thy House," "Everyman," and "All for Love."