Class of 1952 Fills Union For Meeting with Conant

President Emphasizes Affairs at College

Freshmen heard one of President Conant's "off the record" speeches for the first time since the war last night when the Class of 1952 filled the Union dining hall for a 30-minute talk by the President, followed by an informal question period.

President Conant centered the majority of his talk around College affairs and Freshman problems, although he took time out to discuss the draft with brief remarks. In his main point he advised the students that in choosing professions they should be guided not so much by monetary factors as by their own natural leanings.

Dinner at Union

Following the speech, President Conant was flooded with questions by Freshmen who wanted to hear his views on the General Education program, overcrowding, Houses, and vocational guidance at Harvard. President Conant referred some of the queries to Freshman Dean Leighton, who also attended the mass-meeting.

Before the program, President Conant and Dean Leighton dined in the Union upper dining room with Assistant Dean Judson T. Shaplin '44, William Reeb '44 3L, Secretary of the Union, head Yard proctors, and members of the Union Committee.

The program was arranged by the Crimson Key Society under President Gerald Y. Genn '48, who introduced President Conant.