Political Activities Increase

Rallies Mark Final Week

Political activity spiraled higher and higher in the University last night as groups backing all candidates headed for the last hectic days before Tuesday's election.

Harvard and Radcliffe Republicans marched and cheered for Dewey last night at the Boston Arena, while other students staged two rallies and a heated Truman-Dewey debate in Cambridge.

Tonight a Thomas rally and two debates are on the bill, while Monday will bring out Wallaceites and Young Republicans here and at Radcliffe in election-eve torchlight parades.

Thomas E. Dewey was called everything from a "haberdasher's dummy" to a "Silas Lapham" at the three meetings here. Professors Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr. '38, and Sam Beer lashed out at the Republicans at a rally and a debate, while Congressman John F. Kennedy '40 and ex-Congressman Thomas H. Eliot '28 added to the hue and cry in an HLU meeting on the Democratic campaign.

Truman Also Hit

President Truman took his share of punishment too. A visit by candidate Dewey to Boston brought out both Harvard and Radcliffe students in a torchlight parade and cheering section at the Arena mass meeting, while Professor Charles R. Cherington attacked the Democratic party in his debate with Beer at a Politics Club meeting.

Tonight's Law Forum will bring five faculty members to the speaker's platform for candidates. Two Truman supporters, one speaker each for Wallace and Dewey, and one protest speaker will air their views. In New Haven tonight the Harvard debating team will back Truman, while their comrades here take the Republican side. Students for Thomas will present a C.I.O. speaker for the Socialist candidate in Harvard Hall tonight.