Varsity Finishes Work For Holy Cross Game

Final Session Includes Offense and Defense; Valpey Respects Crusaders' Power

By Steve Cady

"We're back to status quo," Art explained last night after winding up pre-Holy Cross practice under the Stadium lights. "We lost some time at the beginning of the week, but we're all caught up now."

On the way to the showers last night, Valpey's athletes had a hungry look in their eyes, and it wasn't for Varsity Club steaks. They want touchdowns. "We look for about four touchdowns between the two clubs tomorrow," Coach Valpey predicted last night.

Crusaders May Explode

He has consulted with basketball coach Bill Barclay, who has scouted the Cross for the past two weeks, and both agree that Osmanski's team is better than its record indicates. "One of these weeks, we may catch fire," Valpey said yesterday. "But Holy Cross might, too."

Yesterday's practice followed the usual pattern: 50 percent offense, 50 percent defense. Hal Moffle. Bob DiBlasio, and Chuck Roche also did some punting. Roche may get plenty of competition tomorrow afternoon from second-string Grusader fullback Johnny Reader, a 23-year-old junior. Butch Kissell's replacement is the number two punter in the East, behind Yale's "Snowwhite," Levi Jackson. He has averaged 40 yards a boot this fall.

Injuries Hit Both Teams

The injury scales should be evenly balanced tomorrow. Charley Binder regular Holy Cross halfback, is hors de combat, and first-string center Jim Deffley's action will be limited. As for the Crimson, defensive guard Sam Butler will sit this one out, and reserve line-men Walt Coulson, Emil Drvaric and Skip Garvey may have to spend the afternoon taking a national pre-medical school examination.

The Crimson will hold its regular full dress rehearsal in the Stadium late this afternoon when final defense assignments will be ironed out. The Crusaders leave Worcester tomorrow morning and stage a taken workout in the morning. They are well acquainted with the confines of the Stadium.

Although the Holy Cross brawn will outweight the Harvard line by seven pounds per man, latest odds have the Crimson seven and a half point favorites.

The Cross medical staff held out little hope that Charlie Binder, regular right half, would be able to play. He wrenched a knee in Tuesday's scrimmage. Binder is known as "Rough" by his teammates.