Beefy Holy Cross Eleven Piles into Stadium Today

Crimson Lacks Depth in Line

By Pete Taub

Exactly 1448 pounds of Holy Cross line collide with Art Valpey's depleted football squad this afternoon in Harvard's third Stadium appearance of the season.

Just how depleted the Crimson is can be judged from the fact that five of Valpey's key line personnel--two of them first stringers--will not play today. Guard Emil Drvaric, tackle Skip Garvey, and end Walt Coulson are taking medical school exams, while tackle Doug Bradlee and guard Sam Butler are out with injuries. Will Davis will take over Bradlee's tackle position, Dick Guidera spelling him on defense. Jerry Kanter will fill Butler's defensive post in the middle of the line.

Cross is Big--and Fast

Just how elephantine the Cross forward wall is can be estimated from the seven-pound per man weight edge it will enjoy over its opposition.

Colorful John DiGangi is no longer around, but two Crusader linemen weigh over 230 and the others tip the scales at close to that mark. The backfield combines more brawn with shiftiness and speed.

The Purple started out with impressive victories over Georgetown and Syracuse, then lost on successive Saturdays to Dartmouth, Brown, and Colgate. Harvard's initial triumph over Columbia has been followed by setbacks at the hands of Cornell, Army, and Dartmouth. Today's game will have a tremendous effect on the way both clubs finish the season.

Concrete-to-Concrete' Play?

Except for the changes necessitated by this week's turn of events, Valpey plans no other switches. On defense, Dike Hyde and Red Hill will take over at the ends and Phil Isenberg and Bill Hickey will share the backer-up chores. Offensively, Chip Gannon is a likely starter in the backfield instead of Paul Shafer.

Ticket sales indicate a crowd of 30,000 to 35,000. However, the Cross always draws a subway alumni delegation in good weather, and this may boost gate receipts.

Rain or shine, most spectators will be watching for the "explosion" which both coaches have predicted by either team.