Placement Office Releases Data On Exam for Government Jobs

The Student Placement Office yesterday released details of a nation-wide exam leading to Civil Service jobs both here and abroad.

The test, which will be given shortly after December 21, is open to all undergraduates who contemplate a career in Government service, as well as to graduating seniors who feel the employment problem more closely.

If passed, the examination will serve as partial qualification for annual appointments as "Junior Professional Assistant" and "Junior Management Assistant" in the Civil Service internship program in federal agencies. The two groups include options in such fields as astronomy, economics, psychology, and law.

Non-Specialized

John W. Teele '27, Director of Student Placement, stressed that any student applying for these Civil Service posts must take these examinations. They are fairly non-specialized and resemble standard collegiate aptitude tests.

"This examination offers students interested in government work a definite opportunity to be certified and classified for a position," Teele said, adding that prospective government workers frequently must "stand around in Washington corridors for days when they fail to plan their federal job campaigns in advance."

Deadline December 21

Deadline for application with the Commission is December 21, and any student who wants to take the test should consult the Placement Office well before that date.

Teele also announced that a State Department representative will be at Harvard Monday afternoon with information about jobs in America's "cultural centers" in other countries.