Felton Breaks New England A.A.U. Weight-Throw Mark

Strong-arming the 35 1b. weight 56 ft., 10 3/4 in., Sam Felton bumped the New England A.A.U. championship record by over nine inches yesterday and stretched his personally-set Harvard weight record by nearly a foot in Briggs Cage.

With the heave, Felton tossed himself into the A.A.U. Olympic finals to be held in Madison Square Garden Saturday, February 21.

Yesterday's New England Championship meet was an unofficial contest for the Crimson. Coach Jaakko Mikkola entered his field event men in the weight throwing, pole vaulting, and broad jumping in Briggs Cage during the afternoon, but not in the night running events at the Cambridge Armory.

Mikkola's attitude was that tiring the Crimson's little feet on the big, star-studded field with no end in view would be a silly waste of much sleep.

Morcom Sets Record

Harvard registered a second and third in the afternoon's pole vault. New Hampshire's Boo Morcom cleared 14 ft., 3 5/8 in., for first place and a new regional A.A.U. record. The Crimson's Bill Lawrence and Bud Lockett stepped out at 13 ft., and 12 ft., 6 in., respectively, and let the New Hampshire champ battle out the last foot and more against himself.