War Surplus Will Pay for Study Abroad

Foreign Scholarships Given

Fleets of planes, trucks, and machinery strewn over the battlefields of Europe and Asia will soon permit 2000 American students to study abroad gratis each year, Otis N. Minot '39, Assistant Dean of the College, announced yesterday.

Under the terms of the Fulbright Law, the tons of American war machines scattered throughout the world will be given to the countries in which they stand. As payment, these nations will award U.S. students with scholarships for a year's study within their borders.

Treaties Are Pending

The law was signed by President Truman last year, but was only recently reclaimed from State Department pigeonholes. Treaties were finally drawn up last month and are currently making the rounds of foreign capitals, waiting for approval.

So far only two nations have signed the treaties. The law is already in effect for China and Burma, and students will soon be able to apply for scholarships in these countries. Other treaties are pending action in Great Britain, Australia, New Zealand, The Netherlands, France, Italy, and Norway.

Italy May Sign Soon

Of these, Italy is the only one that may sign in time for the scholarships to become effective by this fall. Veteranswollen college enrollments are currently delaying action in other countries.

College graduates throughout the United States are eligible for the awards. Special district boards will soon be set up, with a local office in Boston to screen candidates. Applicants will be considered on the basis of their personalities as well as their previous record, while a student's purpose in attending a foreign school will also weigh heavily in the decision.