Doubts Pound Report

THE MAIL

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

Your readers should take with a grain of salt the report of Roscoe Pound, University Professor emeritus, and currently an advisor to the Chinese Ministry of Justice.

At present, for the purposes of keeping tins brief, let me state just these points: 1) Monnett B. Davis, American Consul at Shanghai, fears the situation to be so dark that there exists in China a fuse leading to a huge bomb, and that this fuse is burning rapidly, and only very sensational action can cut it and prevent the bomb from blowing up in our faces; 2) Mr. Tsuyee Pel; Governor of the Central Bank (China's official currency), felt the situation so dark a year ago that he resigned his post to devote his time to planning a now economy when the present one undergoes complete collapse; and 3) a member of the Consulate staff, recently back in this country . . . told me the situation was even worse than when I was there, and that those in American business firms and other concerns are all typing to get Hong Kong assignments, "it being so awful in any spot in China proper."

However I am sure that any returning member of the press or the military service . . . would come very much closer to the outlook presented in the foregoing than Professor Pound's. John B. Dompsey II '47